Lady Sailfish Defeat Lady Fire, 9-0
February 9, 2012
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.--The Southeastern Lady Fire tennis team ran into a tough task, Thursday afternoon, as they matched up with NCAA D-II powerhouse Palm Beach Atlantic University in a non-conference matchup. PBA dominated the Lady Fire, winning 9-0 despite Southeastern battling hard all the way to the end.
PBA made a clean sweep of doubles play. Jessica Lharton and Lexi Antosta teamed up to defeat Chelsey Lynn and Wendy Reade, 8-0. The next two doubles matches were the same results as PBA's Leydi Dora and Natalia Trotter beat Kristina Wisor and Stephanie Dodd while Vilia Vahatalo and Liddy Robinson paired up to win over SEU's Lexus Potts and Heather Ericksen.
In singles action, Lynn had the tough task of taking on PBA's No. 1 player, Veena Vasquez. Lynn battled hard, but eventually lost 6-1, 6-1. In the No. 3 position, Reade lost to Maria Jimenez, 6-0, 6-3, but put up one of the Lady Fire's best fights of the day.
SEU's Stephanie Dodd and Lexus Potts both managed to win games in their singles matches. Dodd fell to Vahatalo 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 4 position, and Potts lost to Robinson 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 5 spot. Playing in the No. 2 position, SEU's Kristina Wisor was defeated by Vicky Bacg 6-0, 6-0 while the Lady Fire's Heather Ericksen lost by the same score in the No. 6 slot to Lharton.
Southeastern (1-1) will take on No. 22 St. Thomas University, on Friday, in Miami Gardens, Fla. Match time is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
Palm Beach Atlantic 9, Southeastern 0
1. Jessica Lharton/Lexi Antosta (PBA) def. Chelsey Lynn/Wendy Reade (SEU); 8-0
2. Leydi Dora/Natalia Trotter (PBA) def. Kristina Wisor/Stephanie Dodd (SEU); 8-1
3. Vilia Vahatalo/Liddy Robinson (PBA) def. Lexus Potts/Heather Ericksen (SEU); 8-0
1. Veena Vasquez (PBA) def. Chelsey Lynn (SEU); 6-1, 6-1
2. Vicky Bacg (PBA) def. Kristina Wisor (SEU); 6-0, 6-0
3. Maria Jimenez (PBA) def. Wendy Reade (SEU); 6-0, 6-3
4. Vilia Vahatalo (PBA) def. Stephanie Dodd (SEU); 6-0, 6-1
5. Liddy Robinson (PBA) def. Lexus Potts (SEU); 6-1, 6-0
6. Jessica Lharton (PBA) def. Heather Ericksen (SEU); 6-0, 6-0